среда, 13 января 2010 г.

GIRL

On the glass door of the office were the words: "Robbins & Harley, Brokers". It was past five, and the clerks had already gone. The two partners - Robbins and Hartley - were going to leave the office too.[1] Robbins was fifty; Hartley - twenty-nine, - serious, good-looking and nervous.



A man came in and went up to Hartley.


"I have found out where she lives," he said in a halfwhisper. Hartley made a sign of silence to him.[2] When Robbins had put on his coat and hat and left the office, the detective said:
"Here is the address", and gave Hartley a piece of paper. There were only a few words on it.


Hartley took the paper and read: "Vivienne Arlington, No. 341, East Tenth Street."


"She moved there a week ago," said the detective. "Now, if you want to know more about her, Mr. Hartley, I can try to find out. It will cost you only seven dollars a day. I can send you a report every day."
"Thank you," said the broker. "It is not necessary. I only wanted the address. How much shall I pay you?"
"One day's work," said the sleuth. "Ten dollars will be enough."


Hartley paid the man, send him away and left the office. He went to find the address written on the paper the sleuth had given him. It took him about an hour to get to the place.[3] It was a new building of a cheap flats. Hartley began to climb the stairs. On the fourth floor he saw Vivienne standing in an open door. She invited him inside with a bright smile. She put a chair for him near the window, and waited.


Hartley gave her a friendly look.[4] He said to himself that she was a nice girl and dressed in good taste.
Vivienne was about twenty-one. She was of the Saxon type. Her hair was golden. Her eyes were sea-blue. She wore a white blouse and a dark skirt - a costume that looks well on any girl, rich and poor.[5]
"Vivienne," said Hartley, "you didn't answer my last letter. It took me over a week to find your new address. Why did you take no notice of my letter?[6] You knew very well that I wanted very much to see you and talk to you!"


The girl looked out of the window, thoughtfully.


"Mr. Hartley," she said at last, "I don't know what to say to you. The more I think of your offer - the less I know[7] what answer you. I understand you are doing it for my happiness. Sometimes I feel that I should say[8] `yes`. But at the same time[9] I don't want to make a mistake. I was born in the city and I am afraid I shall not be happy in the country."[10]
"My dear girl," answered Hartley, "I have told you many times that my house is situated only a little way from[11] the city. I have also promised to give you everything that you want. You will be able to come to the city, to go to the theatres and visit your friends as often as you wish. Do you believe that?"


"Yes, of cause I believe you," she said, turning her beautiful eyes on him with a smile. "I know you are a very kind man. The girl that you will get - will be a lucky one.[12] I found out all about you when I was at the Montgomery's."[13]
"Ah," cried Hartley, "I remember well the evening I first saw you at the Montgomery's. Mrs. Montgomery told me so much about you that evening. And she made no mistake. I shell never forget that supper. Come with me, Vivienne! Promise me! I need you so much. You will never be sorry for coming to me.[14] No one will give you a home as good as mine."


The girl said nothing.


Suddenly an idea came into his head.
"Tell me, Vivienne," he asked, looking at her, "is there another - is there someone else?"[15]
The girl blushed and answered very quikly:
"You shouldn't ask that, Mr. Hartley. But I will tell you. There is another - but he has no right - I have promised him nothing."
"His name?" demanded Hartley.
"Townsend."
"Rafford Townsend!” Exclaimed Hartley angrily. "Where did you meet that man? I have done so much for him! How could he!"
"His car has just stopped at the house," said Vivienne, looking out of the window. "He is coming for his answer. Oh, I don't know what to do!"


The bell rang. Vivienne hurried to open the door. "Stay here," said Hartley. I will open the door myself."
Townsend was surprised to see Hartley.
"Go back," said Hartley.
"Hullo!" said Townsend, "What's up?[16] What are you doing here, old man?"
"Go back," repeated Hartley. "The Law of the Jungle.[17] She is mine."
"I came here to see her on business,"[18] said Townsend bravely.
"Don't tell me any lies," said Hartley, "go back!"
Townsend left very angry. Hartley returned to the girl.
"Vivienne," he said, "I need you very much. Stop playing with me!"
"When do you need me?" she asked.
"Now. As soon as you are ready to go."
She stood quietly and thought for a short time.
"Do you think for one moment," she said, "that I shall enter your house while Helen is there?"
Hartley did not expect that. At first[19] he did not know what to say.


Then he said bravely: "She will have to go.[20] She is making my life miserable. I have never had a peaceful day since she came to my house. But this is the end. You are right, Vivienne, Helen must be sent away before I can take you home. She must go. I have decided. I will turn her out."
"When will you do this?" asked the girl.
"To-night." said Hartley. "I will send her away to-night."
"Then," said Vivienne, "my answer is 'yes'. Come for me when you wish."
She looked into his eyes and smiled. Hartley was happy, but he was afraid to believe her.
"Promise me," he said, "on your word of honor."[21]
"On my word of honor," repeat Vivienne softly.
At the door he turned and looked at her happily.
"To-morrow," he said.
"To-morrow," she repeat with a smile.


It took Hartley an hour and forty minutes to get to his home in the country.


The door was opened by a young woman who kissed him as he came in.
“Mother is here,” she said. "She came for dinner, but there is no dinner."
"I've[22] something to tell you," said Hartley, "some news."
"What kind of news?"[23] asked the woman, "Good or bad news?" He whispered something in her ear. Hartley's wife screamed. Her mother came running into the hall. His wife screamed again - it was a happy scream, very happy.


"Oh, Mother," she cried, "what do you think? Vivienne has agreed to come and cook for us! She is the cook that worked for the Montgomery's a whole year. I am so happy! And now, Bill, dear, you must to go to the kitchen and send Helen away. She is drunk again."




[1] were going to leave the office too – тоже собирались покинуть офис (уйти из конторы)
[2] made a sign of silence to him показал ему знаком, чтобы он замолчал
[3] it took him about an hour to get to the place. - У него ушло около часа на дорогу.
[4] gave her a friendly lookокинул её дружелюбным взглядом
[5] rich or poor – независимо от того, богатая она или бедная
[6] Why did you take no notice on my letter? – Почему вы пренебрегли моим письмом? (to take no notice of - не обращать внимания, не замечать)
[7] The more I thinkthe less I know – чем больше я думаю, тем меньше я знаю
[8] should – мне следует; выражает долженствование, необходимость
[9] at the same timeв то же время
[10] in the country – в сельской местности, за городом
[11] a little way from - неподалёку
[12] a lucky one – счастливая девушка (местоимение one употребляется во избежание повторения существительного girl)
[13] at the Montgomery`s - у Монтгомери, в доме Монтгомери (определённый артикль, множественное число и форма притяжательного падежа указывают на то, что имеется в виду вся семья Монтгомери, их дом)
[14] You will never be sorry for coming to me. – Вы никогда не пожалеете (раскаетесь), что пойдёте ко мне (never – усиленное отрицание)
[15] Is there someone else? – может быть, у вас есть кто-нибудь другой?
[16] What`s up? – Что случилось? В чём дело?
[17] The Law of the Jungle. – закон джунглей (т.е.право более сильного)
[18] on businessпо делу
[19] at firstпоначалу, сначала
[20] She will have to go. – Ей придётся уйти. (Вместо глагола must, не имеющего формы будущего времени, употребляется глагол to have с последующим инфинитивом)
[21] on your word of honor – под честное слово (honor – американский вариант написания, honour – английский)
[22] I`ve = I have
[23] What kind of newsкакая новость? Что за новость?

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий