четверг, 15 апреля 2010 г.

THE RANSOM OF RED CHIEF continue

I addressed the letter to Ebenezer Dorset, and put it into my pocket. As I was leaving, the boy came up to me and said:
“Snake-eye, you said I could play the Black Scout while you are away.”
“Play it, of cause,” said I. “Mr. Bill will play with you. What kind of game is it?”
“I am the Black Scout and I have to ride a horse. I am tired of playing Indian[1]… I want to be the Black Scout.”
“But what am I to do?”[2] asked Bill.
“You are the horse,” said the boy. “Get down on your hands and knees[3] and I`ll ride on you.”
“How far are you going to ride?” asked Bill.
“Ninety miles,” was the answer.
“Ninety miles!” said Bill. “For Heaven`s sake, Sam, hurry back. Return as quickly as you can. I`m sorry we didn`t ask for a thousand dollars only!”


I walked to the town. While posting the letter at the post office I listened to the people`s talk. A man was telling his friend that old Ebenezer Dorset`s son had been lost or kidnapped. That was all I wanted to know. I posted the letter.

When I got back to the cave I could find neither Bill nor the boy. So I lighted my pipe and set down to have a rest.

At the end of half an hour I saw Bill. He was walking softly towards the cave. Behind him I saw the boy walking as softly as Bill. He was smiling. Bill stopped, took off his hat. He was hot. The boy also stopped about three yards behind him.

“Sam”, said Bill, “you may think I am a bad comrade, but I couldn`t help it[4]. You know I used to take part in many dangerous plans. You know I have always stood by you and was a great help to you in everything you did. But this time I couldn`t help it… the boy is gone. I have sent him home. Everything is lost. My patience has come to an end.”

“What`s the matter[5], Bill?” I asked him.

“He rode me,” said Bill. “He rode me ninety miles. Then he gave me oats to eat. And it was not real oats of cause, - it was earth. And then for an hour he asked me questions and I had to explain why there is nothing in holes, why a road runs in both directions, why grass is green. So at the end of two hours I took him by ear and dragged him down the mountain. On the way down[6] he kicked my legs black and blue from the knees down[7]. He bit my hand so hard that I have to use some iodine now. But I am glad to say he is gone.[8] He is gone home. I showed him the road to the town and kicked him so hard that he fell down. I am sorry we have lost the ransom. But we had to choose: either the ransom or[9] Bill Driscoll goes to madhouse.” There was peace and happiness in Bill`s face.

“Bill,” I said, “is your heart strong?”
“I think so,” said Bill, “why do you ask?”
“If your heart is strong,” said I, “you may turn around and look.’

Bill turned around and saw the boy. As soon as he saw him he sat down on the ground. I raised him with difficulty. For an hour I was afraid for his mind.[10] It took me a long time to explain that there was still hope. I told him we would get the ransom that night and go away at sunrise.

Some time passed and Bill was able to give the boy a weak smile. He also promised to play in war with him.
I acted according to our plan. I went to the three trees in the road. At half-past eight I was already in the tree, waiting for the messenger. I had had to climb up the tree because there were open fields on all sides. I was afraid to be seen walking up to the tree.[11]

Soon a young boy rode up to the trees on a bicycle. He found the paper box at the foot of fence-post and put an envelope into it. Then he rode away. I waited for an hour. When I was sure that no one was looking I got down from the tree. I took the envelope and run back to the cave as fast as I could. I opened the envelope and took out the note. It was written with a pen. I read it to Bill. This is what Ebenezer Dorset wrote:

“Two Desperate Men.
Gentlemen. I have received your letter to-day by post. You ask me for fifteen hundred dollars` ransom for the return of my son Johnny. I think you are asking too much for him. That is why I am making you a counter-proposition and I hope you will agree to it. You bring Johnny home and pay me two hundred and fifty dollars in cash[12], and I agree to take him off your hands.[13] I advise you to bring him back at night because of the neighbors. They are sure he is lost. If they see you bringing him back, they may kill you.
Yours Ebenezer Dorset.”

“God!” said I, “the old man is mad…”


Then I looked at Bill and stopped. I had never seen such miserable eyes.

“Sam,” said Bill, “what`s two hundred and fifty dollars, after all?[14] We have the money. One more night with the boy[15] and you will have to take me to the madhouse. I think we must agree to Mr. Dorset`s kind proposition. Oh, Sam, please, let us pay the money and go away from here!”

“To tell the truth, Bill,” I said, “I am tired of our little friend too. We`ll take him home, pay the ransom and leave the town at once.”
We took Johnny home that night. We told him that his father had bought a rifle and moccasins for him. We also promised to him to hunt bears with him the next day.

When the boy saw that we were going to leave him at home he screamed and run after us. His father caught him and held him.

“How long can you hold him?” asked Bill.

“I`m not so strong as I used to be,” said old Dorset, “but I think I can promise you ten minutes.”

“Enough,” said Bill. “In ten minutes I`ll cross the Central, Southern and Middle Western States. In fifteen minutes I`ll be in Canada.”

And although the night was very dark, and Bill was fat, and I was a much better runner then he, it took me a long time to catch up with him.[16]



[1] I am tired of playing Indian – мне надоело играть в индейцев
[2] But what am I to do? – А мне что делать? (Глагол to be + инфинитив = долженствование)
[3] Get down on your hands and knees – становись на четвереньки
[4] I couldn`t help it – я не мог совладать с собой
[5] What`s the matter? – В чем дело?
[6] On the way down – пока мы спускались (по дороге вниз)
[7] he kicked my legs black and blue from the knees down – он так лягался, что у меня все ноги от колен к низу в синяках
[8] he is gone – его нет, он ушел
[9] either … or – илиили
[10] For an hour I was afraid for his mind – целый час я опасался за его рассудок
[11] I was afraid to be seen walking up to the tree – Я боялся, что я буду замечен идущим к дереву
[12] in cash - наличными
[13] to take him off your hands -  освободить вас от него (букв.: взять его с ваших рук долой)
[14] after all – в конце концов
[15] One more night with the boy – еще одна ночь с этим мальчишкой
[16] to catch up with him – догнать его

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий